Monday, June 21, 2010

Email 06/14/10

This was another great week. We had stake conference this week. It´s funny, I´m pretty close to my old area Republican but I´m in a different stake. I haven´t seen anybody I recognize yet.


This is a smaller area. It´s about the size of Goodyear ward. We´re the only two Elders here. Elder Swink has been here about 5 months. He´s not exactly the hardest of workers but we´re working on that. He´s not a good cook but he´s a good eater. It´s kinda funny we can´t hardly walk past somebody who´s selling something without him buying it.

When I said the area was dry it meant that I came here to no investigators and no prospects. It´s one of those areas where everyone´s convinced that it´s hard to baptize here (including some members) and use that as an excuse to not work hard. I know that the Lord didn´t send me here to just work, I was sent here to find, teach, baptize and help prepare these people for the temple. I´m just not sure who those people are yet.

The thing that causes the most pride in this country amongst members isn´t usually the money, it´s the amount of time as a member. The people that the stake president warned us against have been members for 30 to 40 years. In my other areas it was the same. The members that were the most prone to drive out or offend the new members were the very old members. Pretty sad in my opinion. One of the families is Familía Rolon. We eat with them on Thursdays. Their pleasant enough to talk to but you can see the fire inside.

Elder Burley´s companions is Elder Lopez. He´s from Guatemala. He´s a really good guy. I hope he takes care of my area. It´s always very depressing to talk to someone who´s been in one of my past areas, ask them about someone and get back a "who?" I trust Elder Burley and Elder Lopez though.

The reunion sounded wonderful. I miss them. I was looking in the mirror today and I can´t believe how much that I´ve changed and it made me realize how different everything will be.

I hope everybody survived the tornado ok. That sounds crazy. The rain finally stopped here. It´s nice when you don´t have to wring out your underwear at the end of the day.

I love you all so much.

Elder Frank Wills

No comments: