This place is AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I love Paraguay! It is SO hot here and it´s gotta be 110% humidity. I´m trying to stay hydrated. I´m in Asunción in an area called Republicano. It´s on the poorer side.. About a third of the area is Arriba (up) and the other is Debajo (below). The Debajo area used to be the landfill here but when the rest of Asunción got crowded they packed it down and put houses on top. Some of the homes are pretty humble here and the water is the last thing you´d want to drink. The people here are SO friendly and because I sweat so much here everyone offers me something to drink.
My new companion is Elder Wight. He´s from Colorado and boy can he speak the language here. He can understand and say just about anything. He really has helped me with my Spanish and doesn´t just let me sit there. He has me help teach and I love that. He´s a bit of a goofball but he cares so much about this work. He´s a really good trainer and we don´t sit. EVER. I´ve probably walked about 8-9 miles every day since Tuesday.
The language is coming really good here. I can understand just about everyone. It´s just hard for me sometimes to formulate a response to a topic that is gospel simply because that what I spent the bulk of the last 9 weeks learning. It´s coming so fast though.
The reason we were in a hotel Tuesday night is because exchanges happen on Wednesday. There was no openings for us.
The food is a little different. People eat a LOT of pasta of some kind. And a whole lot of meat. The milk sits on your shelf and is in cardboard cartons. The few things that are the same (Coco puffs, oreos, sandwich bread) look the same and are packaged the same but they don´t really taste the same. Every lunch except for Monday and Tuesdays (Monday because of Pday and Tuesday cause of Zone conference) we eat with a member. It´s been really good but they feed us SO Much. Elder Wight is pretty skinny but he downs it all and they think I don´t like it because I can´t clean my plate.
Monday, November 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment