Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Email 1/4/09

I do gotta admit that the New Year´s fireworks here were fairly impressive. Not necessarily coordinated, regulated or safe, but impressive. They had some pretty serious explosions and fireworks but also had some almost accidents. This goes to show that Paraguayans don´t watch enough Disney movies. Anyone that saw Mulan knows that fireworks are dangerous weapons.
And Marian, thanks so much for the package. The Chili Powder was much needed and is much appreciated. It´s making a difference. And the laser is so fun. The Red Vines bring back some good memories. I hope everything goes well with the baby. I´m excited to here it´s been smooth so far, even if we´re going to have another "portly" baby.
One nice thing about this area is that just about everyone speaks Spanish, with just a bit of Guaraní thrown in here and there. I didn´t really realize the influence that my last area had on me. Everyone here thinks I´m Brazilian because I have a pretty thick Portuguese accent in my Spanish now. Being around Elder Ariste and Elder Zorilla is helping me get my Spanish back.
Things are going pretty good with Elder Ariste these days. We had a baptism this week. It was two youth named Rocío and Alfredo. Amazing, strong kids. They´re paternal twins and and Alfredo´s 17. I don´t know how old Rocío is. :-) What´s funny is that here, Rocío is a girl´s name. It went SOOOOOO smooth. It´s amazing how a little planning goes a long way.
My first Sunday here I was asked to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting. I just talked about the Book of Mormon and did my best to give a VERY strong testimony of it. I guess that impressed the branch because we´ve been receiving so much help from everyone. Every morning we get several phone calls from members asking to do divisions. I can´t complain about that. And this is the first time in my mission that we have so many lunch appointments that it isn´t the same schedule every week. We eat with the Gonzalezes this Wednesday and the Largostas next Wednesday. I love being here where there is so much support.
I love you so much.
Elder Frank Wills

No comments: